Sunday, December 20, 2009

Lots to do in Veracruz




Scotts brother and girlfriend arrived last night and Scott got out of Intensive Care today. He is doing fine and might get home for christmas. In all a happy and fortunate ending.

I want to also say that at the moment of the accident I had a bad feeling about dealing with the local Mexican infrastructure.....health care and police specifically. After all the bad stuff that is drumed into our American heads about corruption and dysfunction of Mexico, I really had a sinking feeling. But after dealing with at least 10 policemen and 20 medical people over the last few days I can honestly say that everyone of them was as professiuonal as you would find in the States. Everything we hear is mostly bullshit and really a shame.

Over the last few days I have been busy. I took laundry to the Laundramat, had the bike washed, and had my bike repaired (I did not mention that Scott tore off my throttle side pannier and support structure on his way into the back of the pickup truck). Enrique, the service manager at the Veracruz BMW Dealer was a fantastic help. He took me to a metal fabricator that rebuilt the support bracket well enough to get me to the Canal.

We met Jose Carrillo and his BMW Friends for dinner saturday night and had a great time. I am always impressed by the "BMW Fraternity" that exists. You really meet high quality people everywhere you go!

Today Mike and John oriented the brother and girlfriend with Scotts situation, so that gave me a free day to explore. I rode south down the Coastal Road to the Colonial Town of Tlacotacpan. It was really a unique place. I explored it on the Bike and took many pictures of some of the decorative wrought iron stuff. And returned just in time to meet the group for dinner.

We plan to ride in the morning 300 miles down to San Cristobal.